Friday, 8 March 2013
Sunday, 3 March 2013
Mini Walnut Tarts
1 recipe for pie crust!
1 cup cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
grated orange zest of 1 orange
2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped
pinch of salt
1. Set owen to 180 C. Cut pastry into 6 pieces and roll each out to fit the moulds you are using. Press the dough gently into the moulds and freeze for 30 minutes. Butter lightly 6 pieces of foil and press them onto the dough. Bake the dough crust for 30 minutes, then carefully remove the foil. Bake for another 5 minutes and then the crust is ready.
2. To make the filling. Stir in the cream and next 5 ingredients i a pan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and let the sugar bubble for about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts and then the salt. Increase the heat to 200 C.
3. Divide the filling evenly onto the crust and bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven, dust with some icing sugar and serve with vanilla ice cream.
Friday, 24 February 2012
Saturday, 18 February 2012
Saturday, 4 February 2012
This cake is really fantastic! Light, yet rich and terribly simple to make. I wish I took this picture but my friend Marius "the gentle giant" from Norway took a series of pictures for a dessert book which is still to be published!
225g butter, room temperature
2 dl caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
1 dl brown sugar
4 eggs, separated
200 g sweet almonds
200g dark chockolate 70%icing sugar to dust
1. Butter a round loose based pan (25cm) and put baking paper in the bottom so it will be easier to remove the cake from the base.
2. Put the butter, 1 ½ dl sugar, vanilla seeds and brown sugar in a bowl and whisk together until fluffy. Then add the egg yolks and stir together with a spatula.
3. Put the almonds in a food processor and pulse until fine sandy consistency. Add the almonds and chockolate to the bowl and mix together4. Whisk the egg whites with the rest of the sugar until stiff in a separate bowl. Add ½ the egg whites to the cake mix and fold together, then add the other half and fold again. Pour the cake mix in the baking pan and bake for 50-60 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes and shift some icing sugar on top. Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.